4 DIY Carpet Cleaning Solutions for the Most Stubborn Stains
Spills are unavoidable if you have children and pets in your home. Muddy paw prints, sticky fingers, and spilled juice can ruin your new carpet, but not if you take action quickly. Our DIY carpet cleaning solutions can also work if you don't want to use store-bought carpet cleaners.
Top 3 DIY Carpet Cleaning Solutions for Stubborn Stains
Here are some of the best DIY cleaning solutions you can use using simple household supplies:
1. Vinegar Cleaning SolutionsWhite vinegar is acidic enough to cut through tough stains, but don't use it without diluting it first. Here are some standard cleaning mixtures you can try:
- Remove light carpet stains with a mixture of half a cup of white vinegar and two tablespoons of salt. Allow the solution to dry before vacuuming.
- To remove dark stains, mix two tablespoons of borax with half a cup of vinegar and two tablespoons of salt. Follow the same instructions.
- To remove paint spots and stains, make a cleaning solution of half a teaspoon of vinegar, one and a half teaspoons of laundry detergent, and two cups of water. Use it as soon as possible, so the fibres don't absorb the paint. Rinse using cold water.
- To remove juice stains, use a cleaning solution of a tablespoon of laundry detergent, one and a half tablespoons of white vinegar, and two cups of water. Use a sponge to blot the stain and blot dry. Don't rub!
- A mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar can remove caffeine stains.