Spills are unavoidable if you have children and pets in your home. Muddy paw prints, sticky fingers, and spilled juice can ruin your new carpet, but not if you take action quickly. Our DIY carpet cleaning solutions can also work if you don't want to use store-bought carpet cleaners.
Top 3 DIY Carpet Cleaning Solutions for Stubborn Stains
Here are some of the best DIY cleaning solutions you can use using simple household supplies:
1. Vinegar Cleaning SolutionsWhite vinegar is acidic enough to cut through tough stains, but don't use it without diluting it first. Here are some standard cleaning mixtures you can try:
- Remove light carpet stains with a mixture of half a cup of white vinegar and two tablespoons of salt. Allow the solution to dry before vacuuming.
- To remove dark stains, mix two tablespoons of borax with half a cup of vinegar and two tablespoons of salt. Follow the same instructions.
- To remove paint spots and stains, make a cleaning solution of half a teaspoon of vinegar, one and a half teaspoons of laundry detergent, and two cups of water. Use it as soon as possible, so the fibres don't absorb the paint. Rinse using cold water.
- To remove juice stains, use a cleaning solution of a tablespoon of laundry detergent, one and a half tablespoons of white vinegar, and two cups of water. Use a sponge to blot the stain and blot dry. Don't rub!
- A mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar can remove caffeine stains.
2. Club Soda Mixture
Club soda is made of water, salts, and carbon dioxide, so it can remove most stubborn stains without damaging carpet fibres. It's efficient for removing fading stains such as wine spills. Spray some club soda on the area, and the stain will disappear. Rinse the spot with water, place a few paper towels on it and add a weight on top, so the area dries completely. Remember that this mixture may not work on all stains and can worsen some. Leave these to professional carpet cleaners.
3. Ice Cubes
You don't have to take a pair of scissors to your carpet if chewing gum gets stuck to it. All you need is some ice cubes. Rub some on the spot to freeze the substance. Once it solidifies, pry it loose, and it won't damage the fibres. Use a brush to clean leftover residue.
Use baking soda to remove urine and vomit stains from your carpet. All you need to do is pour a generous amount over the stain till it is covered and pat with a paper towel‚vacuum when the solution dries completely. Combine baking soda with salt to remove grease stains. Let it sit on the spot for four to five hours before vacuuming. Use the aforementioned DIY carpet cleaning solutions to save your expensive rugs and money.
Related Blog Posts
Related Rug Collections