Seasonal house maintenance doesn’t have to be overwhelming. A few simple tasks per season can make your home come to life in spring and hunker down in winter.
A Home Maintenance Checklist for the Seasons
Your family will be comfortable and safe, and your household will run like a well-oiled machine if you keep on top of these small but significant tasks year-round.
Spring Home Maintenance Tasks
- Check your roof for winter storm damages, such as missing tiles and holes.
- Check all exterior faucets and turn them on. Call a plumber or remove the air pocket yourself if no water comes out.
- Get your internal heating, and cooling system checked out and maintained.
- Take a look at your plumbing fixtures, especially the shutoff valve, to ensure they aren’t leaking.
- Check your fire extinguisher to ensure it is useable. Place it in an accessible spot so you can grab it immediately if there is a fire.
- Repair damaged driveways and walkways to prevent slipping accidents.
- Replace damaged extension cords to prevent electrical fires.
Summer Home Maintenance Tasks
- Clean and repair your deck. The snow and ice may have damaged it.
- Clean debris from all window wells.
- Wash and apply a sealant to wooden fences.
- Flush the water heater to clear it of sediment.
- Check and oil all garage doors, hinges, and openers.
- Check your dishwasher for leaks and have any repaired.
- Clean out the fan filter in your exhaust fan.
- Check the toilets and cabinets for leaks.
- Clear out the lint from all dryer vents and hoses to prevent blockage.
- Clean out your refrigerator and freezer coils and empty the drip trays.
Autumn Home Maintenance Tasks
- Seal all windows, doors, cracks, and other openings that can otherwise let cool air into your heated home. Replace the weather stripping if needed.
- Check the fireplace for hazards and damages. Clean out all the flues.
- Repair exterior siding.
- Replace worn-out and damaged windows with energy-efficient models.
- Check the roof for missing tiles, damages, and leaks.
- Dain and winterize all exterior plumbing and fixtures.
- Power wash your home’s exterior and siding.
- Clean out the gutters and downspouts.
- Fix major appliances before the holidays.
- Repair damaged driveways and walkways.
Winter Home Maintenance Tasks
- Check the basement for leaks when it thaws.
- Cover your air conditioning unit.
- Clean out the exhaust fan grill in your bathroom.
- If you have to travel during the holidays, run your faucets at a drip to prevent frozen pipes.
- Check the gutter, roofs, and downspouts after a snowstorm for damage.
- Clean out the drains in showers, tubs, and dishwashers.
- Check the water heater for pressure issues and leaks. A leak detector will ensure you don’t have to pay to reverse expensive flooding damage.
- Change the furnace filter to prevent a fire or carbon monoxide poisoning.
Use this seasonal house maintenance checklist to ensure your home remains functional and comfortable year-round. Consider hiring professionals for some of the tasks if you don’t have the time or resources to take care of them.
Related Blog Posts