Unless you hire an interior designer, your house’s walls are painted a standard colour. Not many people colour-coordinate their homes, meaning your house probably has a mix of different hues.
If that’s the case, keep reading to find out how to create harmony with colour.
Generally, darker colours are used to add personality and a sense of whimsy, whereas lighter colours have a calming effect. Bold colours are often set aside because they can be too overwhelming. This is why homeowners go with neutral colours.
Colour harmonisation in interior design involves selecting colours that work well together to create a pleasing and cohesive look in your home. It's all about achieving balance and unity in your colour choices. Creating a harmonious palette is all about balancing the colours so that the décor looks visually appealing.
Interior Design Golden Ration: 60-30-10 Rule
According to the Golden Ratio of interior design, the best way to create harmony with colours is to choose a dominant colour that covers 60% of the space, a secondary colour that covers 30%, and the remaining 10% is an accent colour.
The Key to Decorating with Harmonious Colours
Harmony is created with two colour schemes:
- Monochromatic: This scheme uses different shades and tones of a single colour. It creates a subtle and sophisticated look. Example: Red – Burgundy, Paprika, Madder, Red and Cardinal.
- Analogous: This scheme includes colours that are neighbours on the colour wheel. Using these colours together creates a cohesive feel. Example: Green, blue-green, and blue.
Harmonious colours are usually paired with neutral colours, such as grey, cream, white, and beige. Colours such as red, blue, and yellow pair well with neutral colours. Green, orange, and purple are vibrant colours and are usually incorporated in the interior pastel shades. Refrain from using two vibrating colours together because they will overshadow each other.
- Red: Is associated with passion, energy, and warmth. It can be an excellent choice for social spaces like the living room or dining room.
- Blue: Is a calming colour that evokes a sense of tranquillity. It's ideal for bedrooms and bathrooms.
- Yellow: This is an uplifting and cheerful colour. It brightens up home offices and kitchens.
- Green: Is associated with nature. It's a versatile colour suitable for various rooms in your home.
- Purple: Conveys creativity and luxury. It's an excellent choice for accent walls or elements.
- Orange: Is an optimistic colour that rejuvenates the spirit. It works best in entertainment rooms and kitchens.
Harmonising Your Interior
Creating a balanced room depends on your rug, furniture, and wall colours. For example, let’s say that you are going for minimalism. The idea behind minimalist décor is “less is more.”.
It's about simplifying your living space to the bare essentials and focusing on functionality. This décor type involves a neutral colour scheme, simple furniture, and a sense of serenity.
Here’s how you use rug colour coordination and harmonise your room around it:
- Choose a colour scheme and then the accompanying colours
Note: If you paint the walls a darker shade, buy vibrant furniture and pastel-coloured rugs.
- Paint beams and columns in different shades to make them stand out
- Centre-align the rug or place it close to the sofa set so that it creates an attractive sight
The function of the room should influence your choice of rug colours. For example, in a living room, you might want warm and inviting colours, while in a home office, you might opt for calming and focused hues. White and blue is a timeless combination that screams elegance. A blue rug with white accents works well in traditional-themed rooms.
Rugs are great elements of visual interest, which is why pairing them in the right colour with your furniture plays an essential role in interior décor. Whether you opt for classic combinations or experiment with unique palettes, the right rug can help achieve perfect harmony in your living space.
The Rugs offers a large selection of colourful and stylish rugs. The company sources only the finest materials, ensuring your rug looks exquisite and stands the test of time. Not sure which rug will best harmonise with your décor? Check out our blog for inspiration. For more information, get in touch with us through Live Chat.
Related Blog Posts
Related Rug Collections